It’s 2012 and we are already running in digital age of social media. Half a decade back when twitter was in its initial stages no body would have thought that power of # and @ could be so useful for your business. What differentiates twitter from other social medias is its power vested in 140 characters. Keeping a cap on the number of letters that can be used helps in maintaining the quality of content. People have lots to say but on twitter they have to write what is important and relevant and that brings out the best content.
If you have to search the relevant content according to your need, twitter allows you to do that with the help of #, @ and its search bar. While going forward i will assume that you understand the basic idea of the usability of # and @.
On the home screen of your twitter you would see on the left downward section a box showing latest twitter trends like #MissWorld2012 #MentionSomeoneWhoIsAwesome etc which basically means that a lot of people are using it in their tweets and making it viral. The trends shown might differ from person to person depending on their geographic location.
These trends are made by many factors like breaking news or by a contest started by a brand or an individual having a lot of followers etc. Advantage of this is that if enough people start tweeting it, it shows up in twitter trends and even people who are unaware about it start using it thereby promoting your brand or simply that hash tag. Now if you feel that i don’t have a huge following and I can’t start a twitter trend then it’s not entirely true. To set a twitter trend you either need influence or luck and best part is you can manipulate luck a bit in this case to succeed. Lets see how.
Viral hash tags are not easy to start however if you are smart you can to some extent try doing that. Suppose your brand be it a company or self has a twitter handle @company and its in music and entertainment business.
1. To increase your followers you need to continuously show a lot of good content which is not easy but if you keep iterating it somehow you will eventually make a rapport in the industry as a brand which thrives on good content. I will assume that you are already doing it. If you haven’t then start with it coz its the basic step which you can’t leave out.
2. There are different types of content like textual content, photos, videos etc which can be further classified into groups like textual content may be a fact, quote, info etc. Similarly photos and videos can be classified into different groups as well. All these groups are different from each other and you can choose a # tag for each type mixed with your company name or otherwise. Example –
a) For informative content – #CompanyInfo
b) For interesting songs/videos – #CompanyFav (fav=favorite)
c) For events – #CompanyEventAlert or #CompanyGigAlert
and you get the idea.
3. Every time you tweet, add these hash tags related to the content you are posting. These hash tags need to be crafted very carefully such that they indicate the type of content you are posting. There are hell lot of different combinations which you can use to make these hash tags so select them very carefully.
1. Now whoever sees your tweet will see the hash tag and will be able to understand what type of content you are presenting them with.
2. If they retweet, your hash tag will be seen by many other people. At this time if you have your company name in the hash tag it will be an added bonus. This is why i said you need to craft your hash tags very carefully.
3. As you keep posting relevant content people will start to notice it prominently and will keep a check on your hash tag for relevant information.
4. Seeing the continuous posting they might tweet the similar content with your hash tag which will further popularize your hash tag. If large number of people start to do this your hash tag might start a trend and start to appear in the latest trends which will further popularize it as i mentioned earlier.
Now the trick is to use multiple hash tags of such kind for different types of content. The ideal number would be between 3-7 but you should also back up these hash tags with good content otherwise it would be a waste. You also need to keep in mind that more the number of hash tags you use more number of tweets you need to post to cover all the hash tags. Also your hash tag won’t start to trend over night (highly unlikely) so be patient and keep hustling.
Another major aspect is that you need to monitor different parameters about the content you post so that you can improve upon what you are doing. This part comes under analytics which is another very important factor to consider and a huge chunk of your strategy which i would discuss in another blog post. Simply think that if you do not monitor the data about what you are posting you will never come to know what are the areas you need to improve on and which parts are already performing effectively. It’s not simple to start trends as might seem to be but good content and proper use of hash tags can increase the probablity of success.
Now go out and make some trends and lemme know if this helped you in any way. Also keep me posted if your hash tag starts to trend. All the best.